Employee theft is a phenomenon where an employee is stealing or misusing the assets of his employer without permission. There are various ways through which employee theft is manifested. The assets that can be stolen include: Money, Time, Supplies (food, silverware etc.), Information, and Company property. This article, however, is focused on a particular form of employee theft that is common among salesmen. This is known as time theft. Salesmen generally are guilty of time theft on a daily basis. Some of them claim to meeting a client or trying to make a deal happen but in actuality they are either down at the pool or playing golf.
According to a survey, employee theft can exceed 10 minutes per day. For salesmen it can run into an hour or more per day. Company of different sizes experience this, but it is more common in bigger companies and also among successful salesmen. These salesmen can go out for a meeting with a client and stay longer than the expected time. They come in late for work sometimes, and other times they may be at the office but spend time on social media. This trend is making companies lose a lot of money
How much does time theft cost you?
If you pay your salesman $16 per hour and that employee steals roughly 10 minutes in a day. This individual costs you a total of $650 in a year in time that he did not work. Just imagine if all your salesmen steal the same time, this can run into thousands of dollars. The cost of time theft among salesmen is very high, and this calls for attention.
How do you handle time theft?
Time theft as already stated can come in different forms. It may be that the salesmen on the non-reports to work late or is not focused at work. Also salesmen who are sent out to meet with clients may misuse their time and come back later than expected. So how can you handle this issue.
1) You need to define exactly what time they is in your employee handbook. Make sure that your employees know what you consider to be time theft.
2) Implement an organized system of repeating and accountability. There are high-tech softwares that help you with time and attendance and this helps to track when employees come in and when they go out.
3) Use an internet security program that denies access to certain websites. This way, your employees will know that you are watching
4) For salesmen who work remotely, you can employ a software or web-based time clocks With GPS functionality. They log in on their smart phones or laptops and this helps you to know where they have been and for how long. Helps you to track their movement.
5) Make sure you discipline those who are caught in the act. This way other salesmen will know that you take the issue of time theft and misuse of resources seriously.
Handling time theft among salesmen will require alot of technology and security systems. You will need to employ the services of a company that provides security services such as CSI Secure Solutions.
About the Author
Chris Cavallo has been in the Security and Investigations Industry for 35 + years and is recognized as a subject matter expert in various areas such as in depth Background,Domestic ,Criminal Investigations including Protective Security Services and Systems Integration ! He has done business on every continent either through his own companies or through the partnerships that he has developed and maintained during his professional career.
© COPYRIGHT CHRISTOPHER M.CAVALLO 2018. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PROTECTED BY THE COPYRIGHT LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES & CANADA AND BY INTERNATIONAL TREATIES. IT IS ILLEGAL AND STRICTLY PROHIBITED TO DISTRIBUTE, PUBLISH, OFFER FOR SALE, LICENSE OR SUBLICENSE, GIVE OR DISCLOSE TO ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS PRODUCT IN HARD COPY OR DIGITAL FORM.ALL OFFENDERS WILL BE SUED IN A COURT
CSI Secure Solutions
FL State Licenses
C 1400224-Private Investigator
Members of FALI-FACDL-SFCA-ASIS-IAHSS-JAC Approved
Florida Bar Family Law Section